Friday 28 April 2017

That night we were spoilt with a traditional Moroccan buffet.  You know us English we love a good buffet, fill ya boots lads!  At first I was a little apprehensive after the conversations on the facebook group with everyone worrying about getting a bout of deli belly.  It was amazing I loved the food, you could also have a can of beer if you wanted.  I refrained thinking I'd save myself for the end, unlike Tim and Paul who got stuck in to a tinnie. This wasn't any ordinary buffet this was a 1200 person buffet.  Tables oh yes, chairs er no! We had to sit on the floor to eat, this was actually quite tricky and uncomfortable, but we managed.  Although I did keep putting my hand in someone elses spilt meal, or at least I hope it was food but I could have been wrong going by the toilet antics.

It was now dark, back to the tent for last minute preparations before the official start in the morning.  At least we'd been able to get a bottle of water at meal time this was heavenly!  Since it was dark and no party games it was pretty much sleeping bags and off to sleep.  This turned out to be harder than I thought as was probably a little excited at the thought of getting started in the morning and not knowing what to expect.

Morning has broken!  Oh my god it felt early, that's because it was!  So at 5.30 people started getting up, with us having our luxury apartment in full view and close proximity of the exclusive toilet block we were constantly woken by the early risers going about their business.  First things first, I joined the local rat race to the bathroom.  Then it was all about food, feet and packing the bag ready for off.  Breakfast on this occasion was a lovely variety of porridge with strawberrys, this was probably the only morning I enjoyed porridge.  After that it became a bit of a chore. Whilst I waited for the porridge to mix properly I started taping my feet.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when Paul suddenly screamed out and pointed at my trotters.  His words were something like 'WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY?' or something very similar lol! His face was a picture, startled almost, whether this was just sheer surprise or fear i'm not sure.  What I do know is he hadn't seen feet like mine before ha ha!  All I could say was 'my feet will probably be worse now than yours will be by the end of the week'.  It was a moment I will probably never forget, absolute comedy.

They tent started disappearing, the Berbers were out in force working in a military fashion, very organised.  They were getting round the bivouac at some pace, it was amazing to watch and a spectacle in itself.  The problem was it made me feel anxious and rushed, when in fact we had plenty of time.  Feet taped and ready, porridge downed and kit squashed back into the bag, it was time to start adding the kit to my body.  This turned out to be rather a challenge, having forgotten my wonderful new ones that I got at Christmas from my sister, Lynton had brought me a spare pair of his.  Phew that was yet another close one I seemed to have got away with.  The problem was, I couldn't get them on.  It seemed my calves were the problem lol!  Once I had completed this mini mission or battle should I say, I moved on to the gaiters.  Now maybe on a different day this would have been a simple task, but for some reason it was like the krypton factor.  After eventually getting them on and feeling rather proud of myself I looked at the others and something was very different.  Instead of thinking I might be wrong, I questioned them, 'have you got those on the right way round?' what a plonker!  The replies came back and very obvious answers lol 'er yes, the zip goes on the outside'.  Oh whoops, that will be me that's wrong then!!!!  Once all kitted up pack on, gaiters sorted, drink bottles filled, and snacks at the ready, it was time for a quick pic or two.

There's the chuckle brothers getting ready for battle ha ha!  'to you, to me!'

The camp was being packed up fast, the berbers were on a mission.  Or was that just my roll mat, mmm not sure now!

Oh look its Luigi!  It must be Mario Cart time soon.

The start was looming, we were ready in plenty of time.  Lets chill for a bit was the call, then we'll head over to the start line.  Just watching the rituals and mayhem of the pre-race preparation was actually quite exhausting. I needed a lie down!





No comments:

Post a Comment