Tuesday 2 March 2021

 On and on, it never ends! Ha ha that's how the training feels sometimes but its getting through those days or runs which help you to become not only physically stronger but mentally more resilient.  February was a big month for me in my training, not necessarily what my program said but it had to be then.  Its about making it work for you, if I didn't strike whilst the iron was hot I'd potentially miss my chance of doing something new or at least different, in this case that was mileage.  I don't think I have ever ran as many miles as this especially over a period of a month.  The consistency factor is what was important here, I maintained a focus on being steady and not necessarily pushing myself too hard as long as I got the miles in or time on my feet.  I have had a few niggly injuries to contend with, my left knee is almost better and my right hip flexor is almost better.  So with these in mind I just wanted to get the miles in without making anything worse or making any more injuries.   Yes I probably would have recovered quicker if I'd just rested but my confidence now is much greater, I have no issues with just going out the door and running 30 miles which actually sounds completely bonkers lol! I've now managed to do it for 6 weeks in a row and kept up the mileage mid-week.  I wouldn't advise this for everyone, and I'm no sure if I could do it when I'm back working either.

I think with all this time off work its given me the opportunity to get more training in than ever before which I won't ever be able to replicate again I don't think.  For that I feel very lucky as its been my saviour through these tough times mentally and physically.  Its enabled be me to be more focused on my training and diet.  Basically there's no excuse! I've now managed to lose over 5kg so I'm actually only a few kg's of my target weight for the race.  I'm now getting quite excited about the event and really believe I can do it this time.


What's on the horizon?  In the next few weeks I'll be looking to complete the virtual Hardmoors 55.  I'm going to use the actual route and go from Slapeworth Pub carpark so I can use the experience as a recce for the 160.  This is where it is going to be crucial in my race as it was the place I began to breakdown last time.  Its maybe just a mental think but I'm focused on giving myself a confidence boost for this section so I can mentally overcome the challenge.  I know its where I lose time so I want to learn a bit more about that section so I know where I have to push harder and when its ok to just plod uphill. I truly believe if I can just get passed Roseberry Topping with a bit of time in the bank still then get over to Osmotherly Square Corner in time then I can do it.  Yes its hard work all the way round but I've learnt is there are sections that if I make it a concentrated effort then I can come out of that section successful. This is how I approach it, in sections, I know the weak spots and where I just need to dig in and put in an effort and I know the sections where I can cruise a little.  Love it!!! Unfortunately this is the easy bit, training.  Yes I know I hear you, its not that easy getting out the door, getting the time, feeling tired all the time, aching all the time, managing injuries, I know I know!! But it is, since I don't go out and run 160 miles in training its difficult to replicate how it feels, but if your training hard and feeling tired, aching, and mentally drained then you're preparing yourself the best you can! I do think I should do a 100 mile training run beforehand, I would do an event in February or early March if there was one. Its mindset!  Preparing your mind for being uncomfortable constantly for 50 hours basically. So in your training its important to take this in to account, so for me its not just about pace its about being uncomfortable and still getting the job done.  David Goggins book is very good on this he talks about it quite a lot. He believes in making his training uncomfortable so he's ready to smash it!



No comments:

Post a Comment