Sunday 19 April 2015

Its been a tough couple of weeks!  In and out of thinking I am back to the training, slight niggle in my heel which could be the dreaded 'plantar facitis'!  So for the last 2 weeks its been massaging and pain killers and little running after a 4.5 mile trek with 'Dave'.  Now Dave is new to the schedule he is training for the York Sport Triathlon and since he hadn't been out training much at all I suggested he came along with me for a few training runs.  The problem for Dave is I now need a running club name for him!

Ok so where are we at? Well, psychologically I feel really behind due to my minor set back but physical the rest has probably done me some good.  The training I have done is in the bank, its done, so just keep the faith!  Rest and attention to the injury is key, don't over do it and look at what I can do and not what I can't!  With Keilder 30 miler this coming Sunday I am not sure whether to risk it for the sake of a long run.

Now we have to go back to my running with Dave! This was brilliant, there we are out for a gentle 2-3 miles and I decide to explore a different route that took us around York Sport.  The path we diverted on to was a gentle incline for a few hundred yards which I thought was great and expressed my delight to Dave saying ' great hill, love it when find beauties like this!', well Dave's face was a picture itself ha ha! It was the kind of look when you think someone is joking and 'no they can't be serious look kind of look'  ha ha brilliant and priceless! Anyway after exploring this new route and being quite pleased with myself we revisited 'University Hill' at which point I think Dave was about to kill me but he didn't have the energy or strength.  It was tough after what we had done so thought he done really well, we enjoyed the final stretch and even put in a bit of a sprint finish at the end.  After a few stretches and the power plates we ventured into the club room to see what the football score was and get some refreshments, water for Dave and a nice pint of Amstel for me.  The tennis boys had all finished there practise and were sat around the bar astonished at Dave's achievements and then they proceeded to ask 'how much further did you run to him???' ha ha this was brilliant as Dave was this intense deep colour of red looking rather exhausted and tired while I still not what I would call an accomplished runner by any means, had a slight sweat on and ready for round two.  On the plus side I was very happy with just getting out and doing a run although this turned out to be fatal.


Dave and myself both ended up with severe heel pain and have been unable to do anything since.  We managed a game of tennis the day after but hobbled round the court like two old boys.

The lesson I have learned is it doesn't matter how fit you are or how far you can run. Respect your body and respect what you have done and respect what you are trying to do!  More caution in future post race! Silly mistakes cost you.

Back in training though and that felt great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment