Wednesday 24 June 2015

The Wall (part 1)
Three days on and I am actually feeling quite good, can't believe my recovery rate after 'The Wall'!   Now its been sometime that I have updated this blog and I will explain why, 3 reasons really, firstly injury prevented me from doing any really training as tried to preserve myself as best I could just to get to the start line, then two I got a virus on the laptop so couldnt do anything with it and three today really I could'nt workout how to get back into my account ha ha!  Yes yes, its been said already, I know I am not good with computers but it was'nt obvious so took a while!

Back to the main event 'The Wall', since the longest run I did in training was 8 miles accompanied with a few short 3-5 milers with 'The Ginger Ninja'.  I managed the gym several times with Epoc Coaching and worked a specific aspects of my training such as the strength of my Hamstrings and Quads, keeping my upper body strong too alongside the flexibility and mobility.  Coming into the race I wasn't ready fact, I was ill the week before which really put the dampner on the whole thing as felt rubbish all the way up to the start line.

Where did this journey begin, York at 1pm Friday 19th, just finished and packing the car with my stuff already for off.  Backwards and forwards from the car to the house, remembering last minute things that I might need, but won't need, just pre-race panicking as normal.  I finally get out on the road heading up to Gateshead this is where it all started.  I turned up at The National Athletics Stadium and parked the car in a mass panick as per normal in true EBW form I was running it to the wire! Grabbed all my bags and stuff I needed, locked the car, and ran.  Off out on to the ring road in Gateshead, mmm now where ooops!  Head for the bridge my Dad said as the station is just after it, so using my limited technology knowledge I googled it and I was 2 kilometers away, well you can imagine the colourfull words that oused out of my mouth.  So I ran in the direction of the bridge eventually finding it and continuing on to the station, hopefully in time.  Next train to Carlisle 17.54 ok cool, what time is it now, 17.53 ooops again!  Ticket, how and where do I get a ticket, 'quick run to that machine I was screaming at myself'.  So as I'm about to take my turn I hear this voice behind me ' The Wall', I turn and utter 'er yeah' and he said 'yep me too so hurry up' ha ha!  We both ended up running over the bridge to platform 6 ready for the train just pulling in.  This was brilliant timing I have to say, so Mark my new buddy and myself got ourselves aquainted and settled on the beginning of our journey.

Apon arrival in Carlisle we met another adventurous type looking for knowledge that he was going to be ok and off we went.  Like the Three Musketeers heading off into the distance, well towards The Castle for registration.  This was an odd experience, as previous to this day I had been having numerous conversations on social media regarding the mandatory kit list and what was required to the law.  Filled in and signed my disclaimer, basically saying that I was insane but its ok as I know as I have signed the document and then collected my race number and baggage numbers.  I was then directed to another desk where I collected my 'Rat Race' buff which was pink so that got an instant dislike and became Olivia's (my 8 yr old daughter) there and then, and my technical shirt which we decided I was a large in (again later became aware this must have been a childs one or an XXS) so all in all I wasn't that impressed with my race goodies, hey at least the whistle works toot toot!!!

Off I trot all signed in and with all my identification and numbers ready to go.  I bundled my way through Carlisle trying to find some clues to where my B&B was.  I eventually found it after, yes you guest it using my phone's magic.  I logged in and settled for the evening with a bit of food, lemsips and TV.  My preparation is some of the best, always learning thats the key! ha ha


No comments:

Post a Comment