Tuesday 15 January 2019

I love training when its like it has been for the past few weeks.  My motivation is sky high and I'm bubbling over with enthusiasm for the process of achieving my goals.  My desire to complete the Hardmoors 160 next and to go on to achieve equally as daunting challenges grows and grows.  I'm not in it to be elite, I just want to be able to complete the challenges and do these extraordinary things.  My main focus at the moment is base level fitness (so a good level of gym conditioning work) and regular varying runs.  I'm incorporating hill training straight away this time as I want to monitor the progress over a longer period of time as this is an area I want to get stronger at.

The challenges haven't changed since I started doing this kind of endurance races its just I realise that for me to achieve more and better I have to improve me.  To improve ones self is being able to recognise strengths and weakness, and work on strengths by continuing the development and to build on the weaknesses.  Also trying different methods of training and focusing on different aspects helps.  More recce runs of the sections in the race where I know I will initially struggle plus training over the ground where the race is will help with confidence on the day.

One of the keys to success in these events for me personally is your team.  In my case, my amazing partner Sarah.  Sarah has been with me on a few long races now and she has now become an essential part of my long ultra runs.  I am able to relax in the knowledge that she's at the next rendezvous knowing what I need. Although I've been doing all this for a few years now I still feel I have a lot to learn not just about the running but about myself and what it takes to get the best out of my body.

Never stop trying to learn more!



No comments:

Post a Comment