Monday 22 February 2021

 Maintaining the momentum!


This is a hard one really.  I have good spells and bad spells.  This was one of the reasons I signed up with Ronnie Staton, not only for his insight to the really long stuff but to get some structure into my training and consistency.  Since January 1st I've really kicked on and pushed myself, lockdown has helped to be fair with time so no excuses there.  I was a bit reluctant to going to far to begin with so I focused just doing my 7 mile loop, I needed more.  I did this in the first lockdown which was great but I  burned myself out.  I decided to start using my time better, I had different responsibilities at home this time so therefore being clever with my training was key.  It started with using the virtual Hardmoors races really as they motivated me to get out for a long run to not waste my money really, then I've kind of just carried on.  I did another yesterday, 28 miles from the doorstep using a similar route to normal.  Although this time it was a bit of a struggle, my legs felt empty and I just felt generally drained.  I decided this was actually a good thing, uncomfortable yes but quite necessary as it replicates how I feel running over 100 miles.  It is never comfortable then either, I know I've shocked you there hey lol!!!!  Seriously though it's good to have to battle through training runs like this sometimes as it makes you remember it isn't that nice and it isn't comfortable and will most likely be done with aches and pains.  So why not give your body a little taste of things to come.

This takes me back to last year. I've mentioned previously that during the first lockdown I joined in a challenge that was occurring a little on facebook where people were running a marathon around there garden.  The problem was, once I'd done this, which by the way at the time was super tough and I was really pleased to just get it done, someone announced the next big thing. What?   I hear you scream.  Not another Garden Marathon, no, but a Garden Ultra ha ha! The challenge was set, no more than 100 feet in distance and continuous.  Er... red rag lol!!! Ok so I set the date and got a sponsorship page organised as thought it would be good to earn a bit for a good cause and set the route.  Boom! Numerous hours later and 52 miles smashed.  This was great for the confidence as was the marathon, mainly because I'd only been managing my 7 miler up till then. Completely and utterly bonkers but great memories and glad I've done it.  The problem is, I was disappointed with the total and feel I should have gone further lol!

I am now just trying to maintain good quality training for the next few weeks, waiting to see when I can get back to work but mainly to manage my knee niggles and hip flexor issue.  I'm going really put some effort into stretching over the next few weeks and strengthen my core and hamstrings/glutes.  Its only 4 weeks now till the Hardmoors 55, providing it goes ahead so I don't any injuries now.  I can't wait till we are allowed to get out any train properly on the Moors I'm busting for that but using my time wisely until that moment.

Since January 1st I've managed to drop 5kg which is great, it makes me feel so much better.  No drinking has helped and eating less with shake days thrown in with focus weeks.  I'm currently using Huel, it rally does help, I don't feel hungry after it so not tempted to snack.  £ or 4 more kg to go and I'll be at my lowest weight for over 25 years!  Its not what its about to me but I know it makes a difference and I'm prepared to use it as a tool to achieve my goals.  Makes me feel pretty good too.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment