Tuesday 16 February 2021

 The thing about training for these long events is that I just get so focused on it and fixated on what's going to make it a successful attempt.  I love the basic progression of the training, increasing strength and mileage, decreasing body weight and a focused approach to the event in question whether this be recce's of the route or hill training etc..  What I am focusing on at the moment for the Hardmoors 160 initially is mileage as this is something different to previous attempts, yes I got out there and got the miles in but it wasn't my focus where as this time I have the opportunity to get a series of long runs in and consistently hit good weekly total mileage.  So for instance in the last few weeks I've been hitting around 70 miles, gearing up for a big 100 mile week.  What I intend to do is use the Hardmoors 55 as my base for that week.  The changes that I've experienced so far in comparison to a number of years ago and even previous to just last year is the condition of my feet and body, during the run and post run.  Before my feet would be blistered and sore, aching and bruised, where as now they very rarely get any kind of blisters and the bruising is minimal and gone by the next day.  I used to suffer from leg soreness and lower back but these also seem to have reduced and I feel little discomfort the following days.  This I put down to consistent regular training and conditioning which have helped build this level of resilience.  In turn this strengthens the mental resilience and confidence.


I have allowed myself a rest day after Sundays 28 miler which was hard because I always feel the need to keep pushing and trying for more but the reality is the rest will do me good and actually my body needs it to recover a bit from the niggles that I've been running with over the last few weeks. I'm going to for the next few weeks try to double up on my training which will involve either a run or workout in the morning then the same again in the afternoon.  I'd like to fit half an stretching in at lunchtime if possible too! It might prove too much and I don't have the time, the trick will be to plan my days and not to make excuses.  I can't stand being lazy, resting because you've exerted yourself is different and much needed but lounging around doing nothing is not me. 


Reluctantly I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some more road trainers and eventually trail shoes because I have literally worn the current ones out.  It was only last year during the first lockdown that I got my Hoka's as they were a birthday present from my Mum.  I think that is the first time ever I've worn a pair out through mileage or use rather than age or the MdS.  This just shows me how much I'm running at the moment and how far I have come over the past few years.  My training really has evolved in cycles.  I've tried to give it different focuses over the years to try and gain new things and work on my weaknesses and to my strengths.  I've had guys helping me who have worked on my cardio, my functional strength and conditioning, power and strength and now a more running focused training which was inevitable in the end and has been incredibly beneficial and motivating.  They have all had positives and I've gained so much from each individuals input as I have from the Sports Massages I receive. Starting from when I used to get Hot Stones massages showing me the benefits of such therapies.   I never really thought about adding this sort of thing to my journey but once I started  I instantly realised the benefits in recovery and body maintenance.  Its something we should all do really as the body needs that release from its daily stresses.  My running journey has come so far and its easy to forget where it actually started, mine was as a youngster really 10 years old and running fun runs accomplishing my first ever 10k.  What I didn't realise then was, running down the cycle track with my Dad on his bike, getting me out there and training (probably unwillingly ha ha), was the beginning of my journey.  The seed was being planted and my Ultra journey was a foot!

Thanks Dad :)


No comments:

Post a Comment