Friday 13 February 2015

So, where does the heading 'How far is too far?' come from?  Well this is what I used to think about and still do when running.  One of my many thoughts, you know, other than why am I wearing this and not that, I'm far too warm, why don't I listen to music everyone else does, where shall I run, shall I do this far or just do this little bit.  Its there all the time, a burning question????? wow, isn't a marathon enough, well no, I want to know how far can I run before I physically and mentally just say no, that's enough I can't move any further I don't want to run any more, I can't run any more!  I want to know, I don't think that is unreasonable its like a quest I suppose, I am challenging myself to find out.  What will it take, is there such a thing as too far, as you can train for the distance you sign up for or choose.  What point though will the mind not matter, as the body will just not be able to do any more. It is this that I wish to find out, I want to go as far as my mind will push me then how far my body will allow me.  How far is too far, at what point will I just say NO!

I love the challenge, the enormity of it scares me and that's what I love. It makes me excited, nervous, yet keen and hard working. The desire to train suddenly becomes greater as the fear becomes greater.  What motivates you to train, or  you just do it because you know you should? or need to?  To run 100 Miles or ' The Marathon de Sables' which has always been my end goal, physical training is paramount, but mental training is also going to become very important as I get nearer to it.  Belief is the key, I have to believe I can do this way before the event.  Yes train of course but believe in achieving your goal is half the battle.


This is what got me through my first marathon in London on that cold misty morning, that's what got me round the Yorkshire 3 Peaks apart from Mad Dogs cheese sandwiches, and that's what got me through the SBU 35 (39) and Railway Ultra.  There is no room for doubt, don't cross the start line if you don't believe you have a chance of crossing the finish line.  I have never entered a run without believing I am going to finish this even when it will be the furthest I have ever run before.  This will be the case for each the Hardmoors 55, The Wall 69, then the 100 and eventually the Marathon de Sables.  My dream is there and now I have to commit myself to it and meet the dreaming with the training.  I have already told myself I can do it, I don't doubt it for a second at all, maybe I am different to others in that respect, maybe not realistic, but doesn't matter as long as I believe I can do it!  I just have to train and train hard!


Whats your dreams and how you going to train for them????

No comments:

Post a Comment