Tuesday 19 April 2016

Reality check alert!  After such a good few weeks of training and positive thinking, planning and preparation I was firmly brought back down to earth and given a harsh reality check of what I am about to attempt.  After planning Monday as my last half decent long run so a mere 13 miles which I was expecting to be comfortable and was actually looking forward to it, I came down with a crash bang wallop!  My hip flexor reminded me it wasn't long ago that I had struggled with it and had to limp round the New Years Day 30 and cut short the Northumberland 35.  It didn't stop me from running but it did cause me enough irritation and discomfort to know I couldn't take it for granted.  What I am pleased about is that I have a couple of weeks to sort it.  I was able to run but afterwards I was in quite a lot of discomfort and had limited range of movement and the soreness was high.  Today, the day after I can barely feel it which I am very happy about it means I just aggrevated it but what it has done has given me a reality check of what I am embarking on.  I will be ok and its not serious but I have to give it some attention and give the challenge the respect it deserves.  This is one of THE hardest Ultra marathons in the UK for sure.  The terrain, and difficulty level of the course leaves it as a tough nut to crack.  Take this challenge with extreme caution.  Not for the faint hearted or fair weather runners!  Preparations and plans are being made, the schedule of events is in place I have written a timeline to suggest where I might be at what time to help my support crew judge where to meet me.  If I get these things wrong it could be the difference between finishing and not.

12715813_575063639320933_7763078254649161863_n

Over the next few days I will be concentrating on stretching and positive thinking.  The plan has to be to keep positive and believing in finishing this race.  I will be there, I will be at the end!!

No comments:

Post a Comment