Saturday 2 April 2016

Two weeks on since the HM55 and I am well and truly back to the training for the 110.  After a steady week of resting and a few little runs just to get the legs moving again I decided it was time to be more productive in my training.  This meant, being more specific to my needs, having not done this distance before its all a bit of guess work to what suits me and how I get the best out of the time left.  My decision has been to maintain medium and short runs with varied pace therefore trying to push hard on shorter runs to improve my pace and work my body harder.  I am also doing rest/run training as what I found on the 55 was due to the terrain my tendency was to have to walk weather uphill or on the flat just after a hard section to recover then to run for a section before the next tough bit.  This proved incredibly worthwhile as what I did was run hard for 3/4 mile so 8 to 8.5 min miles (which is good for me before anyone says that's not hard) then a recovery period of 1/4 mile which power walked as hard as I could.  Then repeated this process 8 times.  I felt great at the end and really feel I benefited from this as was thoroughly exhausted at the end feeling like I had achieved my goal.  This I will definitely be doing a few times more and for longer.

Feeling so good with my training and where I was with it all I felt I needed a challenge and that the terrain was important this time as over the next few weeks its about getting my body adjusted to hill work and non-level footing. I decided to head to the Dales and attempt either all 3 peaks or some of it.  After arriving in Horton at 6.30am which meant I left home at 4.30am  I set off up Pen-y-Ghent and decided that was all I was going to have time to do.  This was great, the hard work my legs went through on the uphill plus working my heart rate thoroughly was irreplaceable, and then the downhill section was great experience and workout for my quads and getting some much needed downhill running practice.  This sounds like it should be easy but its the down hills that trash your legs so putting yourself through it and trying to get used to it before the event should hopefully pay off.




Next for days I will be looking to just top the miles up a bit before doing anything specific again.  This last week has been great training what I have learnt my just get me round the 110.  Whats left, well its the psychology training now over the next few weeks and mentally being prepared and then the planning of where to have my support crew stationed and which sections I want to utilise them as runners.  Interesting times, exciting, can't wait for this challenge now I actually feel I am capable and have the experience to get it done!  I am well and truly in the thick of it now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment