Thursday 1 December 2016

Its been another tough week with my ankle injury, the highs and lows mentally are a rollercoaster.  I have read up on all the information and think it is somewhere between a grade 1 and grade 2 so sufficient rest is required to start rebuilding the strength in it.  I managed my first session in the gym yesterday after leaving it a week and a half.  This was definitely helped by a massage in the morning that loosened up the surrounding tight and sore muscles.  With the massages and the steel splint ankle support i feel my recover has been quite quick.  The main problem I have is my work as have to be on my feet all day and therefore load bearing and twisting and stretching the joint.  I look at this in a positive way and think it is good for it to be moving and starting that rebuilding work, the downside is it makes it sore and swollen therefore recovery icing and elevation are important.

I am now getting excited about the races that are coming, yes I am stressing about them too but that is mainly about the kit and the navigation side to these challenges.  Kit is the biggest issue as it can get quite expensive and the original idea behind all this was to keep costs down.  I am also excited at the training that is going to be involved, to start with I have the Spine Challenger, one of the coldest and most gruelling 100 milers out there.  So clothing and kit essential but also route knowledge of which I have pretty much none at the moment.  The intention is to go out again a week on Sunday with Rob, hoping that my ankle will firstly be recovered enough for a light session and also that I can complete some mileage even if just walking.

The psychology of everything going on at the moment would make interesting studies!  I have the stress of worrying if I am doing the enough training and the right training.  I am stressing about the kit, not for one race but for two.  To top it off I am now worrying about an injury and if I will have recovered in time to actually do these races!!! eeeek!

Where do you start.......


No comments:

Post a Comment