Wednesday 2 November 2016

I currently feel slightly caught between 'a rock and a hard place'!

This is because my main focus is 'The Marathon de Sables' but in a couple of months I am doing 'The Spine Challenger'.  Both have there own unique requirements, and both are going to be seriously hard.  The intention behind it was to be able to use the challenger as training for the Sahara which is still my view on it. This leaves me in the dilemma of having to start my pack training slightly early and ignore all the comments on starting to early will cause injury.  I agree with this in theory, but in practice as long as you don't over do it and prepare properly it can be used to your advantage.  That's what I am telling myself anyway ha ha!

So, where to now well........

I had a tough weeks training last week that I am really feeling the benefit from, and the effects from!  My training felt great, strength improving, legs feeling lean, running felt great even the waistline was improving.  The tiredness crept up on me, gradually as the week went on, I became more and more tired, heavy legged, stiff joints and motivation waning!

After continuing with my theme of upper body strength, core and various forms of running I decided to up the anti and take it a step further!  This meant bringing out the weighted vest!  This is a 20kg vest, too heavy to run in at the mo but great for on the stairmaster in my opinion, again with the right preparation and previous training its ok if introduced gradually.  In hign sight I would have preferred to have a go with a slightly lighter one first, so I have ordered one.  This can be used for resistance training and slow runs.  The effects were interesting though and makes you realise a few things that are going to occur in the desert.  Strength wise I actually felt good, core and lower back still noticed it slightly and legs were good, but obviously over the training time which was 30 mins they started to feel the work load.  The biggest or greatest effect came from my calves, they didn't struggle but I definitely felt it in them and know that as a result of this short test I want to improve on that.

Where to next ................???

Currently I am preparing for my strength and conditioning session followed by a short run and swim this afternoon before work.  I am hoping during my PT to iron out some definite training plans and make a more scheduled process.  Tomorrow, oh tomorrow!  I can't wait actually, I am planning on heading over to the Yorkshire Dales and doing Pen-y-Ghent one of the Three Peaks.  I want to be at the peak for Sunrise!  I am going to try some kit out but mainly its for the hill work and terrain.

Swimming, this is on my agenda!!!!  I am rubbish at it but my goal is to use learning to be a better swimmer as part of my training.  Learn something new as it incentivises you and motivates you in ways you can't normally!


No comments:

Post a Comment