Monday 23 March 2015

Hardmoors 55 - Part 2

So off we went into the distance towards Roseberry Topping, just the thought of it was making my legs ache.  Having gone through the experience of the Half-Marathon up RT I new what torture was ahead of us so I kept my pace comfortable and tried not to think too much about how far or how long the day was going to be. It was a fairly steady start gradually increasing into ascent after ascent but still no sign of Roseberry and I was nearly an hour and a half in, it was only 7 miles to the checkpoint at the summit, oh dear its going to be a long day for sure.  Re-assess the calculations!!!

Once I had this ordeal over with it was onwards and yes upwards over to Captain Cooks monument which is a great trail and then a long draining path uphill. Yet again I'd been here a few times now as its on the route for the much shorter half marathons that I'd done so it felt good to be in the know for where I was going, which always helps!!  So on I went with my first major target being Osmotherly at 32 miles, I thought if I can reach here in under 8 hours I am on track.  With the gruelling route taking you over the Wainstones and Clay Bank area it was looking like a tough ask, my quads were killing and feeling like I was carrying another person on my back.  At this point the end did not look possible!!!
This wasn't me but it was exactly how I felt, the kitchen sink was definitely in the pack!  I just past 20 miles and my thinking was now actually quite positive, I thought I was going to make Os in just over 7 hours if I could maintain the pace I was going, oh how wrong I was ha ha, crawling into Osmotherly Village Hall at 8 hours 10 minutes with this image of a magnificent buffet of food spread all across the hall and oceans of different drinks to dive into, I was broken!!! Barely anyone there and barely any food left, just 2 half squashed end of the packet dry sausage rolls, which actually were amazing, and then tons of sweet stuff which on any other day would be great but at this point I'd already had loads of sweet, I needed savoury.  I was so disheartened I had set myself up for this fall really I shouldn't have allowed myself to get fixated on reaching here.  My drop bag included spare socks and new dry base layer but I didn't even have time to change them I decided it was more important to crack on.  So more items to add to the pack, 'any lessons learnt yet Ed??' was the question humming through my head, torturing myself even more!!!

Only 23 miles to go, 'how hard can it be???' Really bloody hard if you want the honest answer.  I then had to reset myself and plough on entering the second phase of the run in my mind.  This was the easy bit ha ha!!  No chance, darkness fell and the head torch was on.  At this point I found myself on the middle of the moors in pitch black darkness all on my own and no idea where I was going, brilliant!  'Just keep going, stick to the path its all the way to Sutton Bank now, just keep going!'  this is all I kept saying to myself for about the next 10 miles until I eventually spotted more bobbing head torches in the distances not too dissimilar to fire flys!  I managed to stay with 2 or 3 other runners which was at least a bit more reassuring, at least if you go wrong you all go wrong, which we didn't due to one of them being local and knowing the route like the back of her hand.  I decided it would be in my favour to keep up with her, this would tactically save me I think.  As we watched a number of fellow runners go off in the wrong direction, obviously trying our best to get there attention if possible before they went on clueless to there peril.

The final check point was in the White Horse carpark, this was a fun set up they had going on, very welcoming and jolly with music playing and lights flashing, very rave like!  Just what I needed before the final tough climb back up Sutton Bank via the steps, which on any other day would be tough going but after 47 miles of hills and moors my legs were not impressed, but up I went powering one after the other, just repeating to myself  'you will not beat me, you will not break me, I will finish this!!!'.  Making it over the road at the top and across to other side where the trail went off down into Helmsley for the final 7 miles of which I new from my training run. I couldn't believe I had actually made it to this point, I'd thought about getting here for so long throughout the day, it was almost like I'd classed this as the end.  Unfortunately after doing 48 miles, 'a mere 7' was actually still a massive task.  It is at this point it becomes mental torture because you know you are so close to the end ' only 7 more to go, you've done 48 you've done it!' which is great but my legs are shot, my feet hurt, my backs aching and I just want to go home! Take my word for it, it was 7 miles that felt like 14 Hardmoors miles and anyone who has run there races will know exactly what that means.  There's no let up, there's no easy bits, and when you think it couldn't possibly throw any more at you, BOOM! 'Try climbing some steps before your final mile'.

The run into Helmsley and round the corner from the car to the Town Hall suddenly felt amazing, I'd made it, I was here at the end that I'd been visualising all day.  The relief was great, and so was the pain in my feet! There we were at the end of the Hardmoors 55, checking in and then the last piece of cruel punishment, you had to take your shoes off before entering and receiving your medal and shirt. Trust me this was not a pleasant experience with a grimacing face, and maybe even a tear as I reluctantly leaned over to undo them and pull them off.  Oh my word that hurt the most out of all of it, and I was finished.  Entering the Hall to a half filled room of applause but still plenty to make you feel championed even if the winner had finished about 7 hours before.  Medal on, T-shirt in hand, off I waddled back down the route I'd just struggled down and to my car.  Wow, I've done it I've actually completed a 55 mile ultra marathon,  now I just have the task of getting home!

What can I say, I feel immensely proud of my achievement, I worked hard to get to this point.  I also felt strong so I have the belief in myself to go on and reach my next target which will be 'The Wall' which is a 69 mile run along Hadrians wall.  This was really hard going and a real mental challenge of working through the pain and the emotions, the challenges we set ourselves and try to achieve are what defines us.  This is another one I will look back to in years to come with great memories.
Hardmoors 55, I will be back again!!!.....one day

No comments:

Post a Comment