Tuesday 3 March 2015

"It's looking pretty icy out there!",  was the message I got early this morning as I was prizing my eyelids open like a mechanic jacking a car, and struggled to the bathroom creaking and cracking like an old wooden chair!  The 'Princess' had warned me the previous night that the forecast was looking a bit on the cold side, but I just bullied her into going anyway. So I wasn't too surprised when I got a text this morning almost testing my resolve, but no, I wasn't going to let her get out of it that easily.  All wrapped up and off we went, still creaking and cracking, feeling the effects of running the last few days but this was something I felt I needed to get used to as some of the more extreme challenges I am planning on doing will require multi-day running.  Faye being less wrapped up than myself made me look a bit wussy, so when running down the streets passing the morning rush of workers in cars and on bikes and bus's, I was feeling rather inadequate.  After a good catch up chatting about day to day life and who's doing what, we got on to running talk and what kit we've been buying and what we think is best.  At this point I realised 'The Princess' was flying, she was running a much greater pace than what I had been getting used to so I new I was in for a long slog.  The sweat was pouring off my head like Niagre Falls!  Clothing decisions all wrong yet again, now the Sun was coming out, thankfully melting some of the ice, unfortunately increasing the level of my dilemma.
I decided though this was going to be good for me, pushing my limits and extending my comfort zone.  The icy conditions that Faye had made me so aware of, were to be fair quite bad but I think its good for you as makes you concentrate on your running and feet more.  The Sun was beating down and melting the ice slowly but surely, and the morning was becoming yet again a beautiful start to the day!  Faye though, was taking no prisoners, sprinting on like the Road Runner which I managed between gasps of air, to shout to her.  Even trudging up 'The Hill' at the university didn't slow her down, unfortunately for me, it did, and I had to dig deep to power up this almighty mountain of a hill, it felt like I was climbing Everest!  Once we'd finished our gently morning jog, I treated myself to a well earned bacon sarnie, this was amazing, just what I needed to refuel, then straight on to the tennis court and off to work!

Another good run in the bag, miles are adding up now!  Less than 3 weeks till the Hardmoors 55, am I ready???? ........   Yes!    Is it going to hurt??????.........Yes!  Do I think I could have done more??? .....Yes!    I have learnt a little bit more, so next time it will be slightly less painful,   would I have it any other way????? ......NO!!

What have you learnt in your training, then implemented to improve your performance?

No comments:

Post a Comment