Saturday 7 May 2016

HARDMOORS 110- part 1

Here we are, a few days after one of the most gruelling, painful, torturous experiences of my life and I'm contemplating the 160 lol!
13153330_1690341717893941_252639597_n
5am Saturday 30th April our adventure became reality.  The alarm beeped and instead of the usual stretch and press snooze routine I had to force myself to get up as I new the preparation was crucial and didn't want to forget anything.  So whilst prizing my eyes open and sipping on a cuppa I got the essentials ready for when Chris arrived.  The bags all went in the van, which by the way looked like I was going away for the week but I wanted to be sure I had sufficient clothing and kit for all eventualities and off we went!



Once we had arrived and parked up at Filey Brigg I sauntered over to the registration tent flexing my hip and striding wide to warm up my legs a little, what a joke ha ha!  Any way with the wind howling around us, fresh and crisp just to keep you alert, we entered the tent and put my name forward to receive my race number and Chris had to register his attendance too as support crew.  We mulled around a little chatting to a few familiar faces before heading back to the van for final preparations and getting kitted up and ready for off.  No matter how much prep you do those event nerves just make you forget little things as I kept forgetting important little items or routines that you almost take for granted.  A bit of panic and nerves is good but I didn't want to forget the route description now did I!  Oooops that's exactly what I did ha ha, so after revisiting the van and picking it up with some other bits and bobs I forgot we headed over for the race brief.  Hustling and bustling in a big crowd awaiting Jon Steele the race director to show himself but then there was the news the start was to be delayed as he wasn't there yet ha ha!  So with a slight interlude and an opportunity to go back to the van for a quick cuppa we tried again and had the race brief.  We shuffled along the path a little to the flags which represent the start line and await the countdown.  Its not like a 100m dash or anything you watch at the Olympics as we are going over 100 miles so no need to sprint off, its a slow steady start where everyones chatting and all joyful with a spring in there step (the complete opposite to the end of the race, no chatting, no joyfulness just desire to finish and more like a dragging leg as opposed to a springy step ha ha!).  That was it though, we were off boom!



13015214_1100908233299086_1303850531521790147_n
Heading towards Osgodby  Checkpoint which was at 5 miles I felt ok, as described earlier I was taking it steady allowing my hip time to warm up and get into it without making it worse and straining it more.  This worked well and before long I arrived in Osgodby seeing Chris waiting near the checkpoint and cheering me in.  Its a weird feeling at this point as you haven't gone far so its bizarre to stop and take a moment before heading off again.  So Chris was asking all the important questions about my hip and enquiring into the rest of my health, not expecting any issues but there at the ready in case of any slight problems.
13090260_1688921028036010_63423496_n
Leaving Chris I headed off towards Scarborough, I hadn't this part of the route before so I was a little apprehensive regarding the directions but I trusted my instincts and just thought 'how hard can it be!' but what my greatest fear was getting it wrong and adding extra miles.  Normally on a smaller run that wouldn't bother me but to add extra on to 110 would just be silly and reckless.  On my way through Scarborough and its one eye on the path and the other on the person in front of me so I could follow them, hoping they new they way through the town.  It is quite fun actually going through heavily populated areas like this as people ask you questions about what your doing, they cheer you and the kids are all high fiving you which is a great boost and its these things that help keep you going, especially when you know it could quite possibly be lonely and isolated once on the moors.
Exiting Scarborough I just fixed my sights and thoughts onto getting to Crookness which is 13 miles in and a good start.  At least once you hit double figures you feel like you've done a bit and your chipping away at the race, which mentally is very significant.  I new my first big checkpoint was going to be Ravenscar as that was where my parents and Olivia were going to be and that will be a great psychological boost as also will be at 22 miles which is now a good chunk of miles in the bag!  Running this part of the coastline was great now as I was starting to recognise certain parts of it, where I had run previously or visited while with Olivia.  I recognised parts now from the New Years Day 30, especially since I can remember the pain I was in then so I knew I was in a better place for sure.  I was heading towards Ravenscar Village Hall knowing exactly where it was located since our camping expedition in the summer.  I just spent my time wondering whether my parents were there in time as I was ahead of schedule and worried about missing them.  I was passing all the key points I had in my head so I knew I was getting close. Following the trail along the cliff edge took me passed the cafĂ© where Olivia and I had ice creams so I knew I was getting close.  The path took me up to the road where I could see my Dad standing great boost to see him and have a chat.  We headed towards the Village Hall where Olivia and my Mum were waiting and Chris was at the ready with kit and food and the refuelling station.  I checked in turned round and headed to the van for a short rest and to say hello to everyone.  This was great, it really does boost you, don't ever underestimate the power of this.



No comments:

Post a Comment