Wednesday 11 May 2016

Hardmoors 110 (part 2)

This part of the route I had done a couple of times already so I was happy to get cracking.  The track led me back to the cliff top path and along the trail from the New Years Day 30.  By this point I had done 22 miles and just had 4 miles to go to the next check point in Robin Hoods Bay but we had decided that we weren't going to meet up here mainly due to the traffic congestion and its only 4 miles, the decision was made to meet at Sandsend.  This soon became a problem as I set off and left everyone I was just mulling through the next section and thinking about Whitby and how easy it would be to get lost and lose valuable time so I thought I'd have a look again at the route description and that was where it turned into a mini panic.  The route description, we hadn't swapped as I was only carrying the current section so as not to carry more than I needed.  Mmmm dilemma what should I do, carry on and risk it and try following someone else or ring Chris quickly and get him to meet me at Robin Hoods Bay. I rang Chris, had a quick giggle as we'd stuffed up and then proceeded to meet him in 4 miles time.  The Sun was starting to take hold a become quite strong, increasing my body temperature and sweat ratio so I needed to make sure I was consuming enough liquid to keep up with it.  The paths so far had been rock hard, the complete opposite to what I was expecting really as it had only been dry for a few days and previous to that we had down pour after down pour, yet no real signs of it as it was so exposed.  This made good footing but hard ground so my feet suffered slightly but moving was better than it would have been if boggy and wet.

Running in to RHB I knew what was to come, once I had done a few steps, more steps, I was fast approaching the long up hill through the heart of RHB this was going to hurt! I slogged it out, up the main road passing all the tourists, bars, and smelling the wif of fish and chips drifting up past me!  I past a number a of people who gave comments like 'you should be running up here ha ha!', 'the others ran up here!' and 'come on even I could run up this lol!'  yes yes thanks for all the encouragement but for anyone who hasn't run up this road or should I say walked up this road it is steep and your heart is in your mouth.  Try it one day!  I got to the top and past the pub and hotel on the right which I knew meant I was close, I then spied Chris ambling down the road to meet me brilliant I was there!  We walked up to the check point together, me still gasping for air and pushing my legs hard and Chris reeling off a few stories of some other runners that weren't looking to good or who had pulled out for one reason or another.  All good food for thought over the next few miles increasing my positive mentality to progression and the fact we'd got this far and had no problems yet others had.  I was now definitely in with a shout, I just had to keep up my pace and hitting or beating my targets.

Off I went, Whitby was in my sights now and the 'THE STEPS!'  The steps coming down from the Abbey in to the town.  I soon approached the Abbey on the dry mud cliff top path passing the visitors and dog walkers, I currently had another runner in front of me that I was trying to keep up with or at least keep in my sights as it happens what I didn't know was I would constantly passing or being passed by this girl for the entire race.  We hobbled down the steps, although I think we went down the very old step path as opposed to the new steps as I didn't recognise it but it was just as brutal.  So carefully placing my feet on each cobbled step I got to the bottom and quickly set off searching for this girl I was trying to follow.  I kept the route description handed as at any time I may lose her.  Then it happened my nightmare, I'd lost her aaarrrggghhh!!   With route description out and a few lucky guesses I found the path and kept on.

After getting round the coast and meeting Olivia and my parents at Sandsend which again was great such a boost seeing them and having a few laughs before heading off to Runswick Bay.  This was another superb section as after numerous steps (again) and bumping into Matthew one of my clients, we got to run across the beach which was just stunning, the bad news unbeknown to me was what was waiting at the end of the beach to take us up to the carpark.  The path was brutal, my heart rate went through the roof and I soon began to feel ill.  I reached Chris at the checkpoint and tried to eat and drink but vomiting wasn't far off, this wasn't good as I needed energy and fast!  The plan now was to meet Chris at Staithes before my main target of Saltburn, with Sun out at full strength and beating down on me this was becoming tough.  Only another hour or so of this heat before it starts dropping in temperature.  Passing through Staithes I was with a couple of other runners but I decided to take a little time out once I met Chris, then headed off in the direction of Skinnygrove.  The route took us along the beach as the sun dropped, snaking through the dunes.  The sand spilling over the edges of my trainers, good training for the MdS this I kept thinking, each step becoming tougher and tougher through the soft sand.  The temperature was dropping and the light nearly gone, I was waiting before putting the head torch on as I was trying to saver the batteries as long as possible.
13090256_1688920961369350_1729286217_n The beautiful coastline made it easier to
run this magnificent run, I'm glad we had sunshine and not rain!


This was a brutal climb after what we'd done so far, my lungs were bursting and my heart was in my mouth.  Timely rest as just had to take a couple of pics! ha ha honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment