Wednesday 18 May 2016

Hardmoors 110 (part 5)

Heading to Clay Bank was a great section as the sun was up as was our spirits.  My motivation was high getting to Clay Bank as I knew I could have a few minutes rest a quick bit of banter with the others.  As we clambered down the steep bank towards the road I could just make out Chris's van so I checked in and gave my number and walked towards the van.  Chris was up with the kettle on and Amy was still fast asleep, but not for long as we weren't exactly quiet discussing the night section and the horrendous weather.  Chris had been giving us updates about people dropping out and various comments from other runners as they had come through the check point.  Leaving the road side we headed up the next hill which was soul destroying after reaching the last and feeling so positive, we felt we had done the hills now but really we hadn't even got to the tough stuff yet.  Up we went one step in front of another, heavy breathing with lungs bursting and a heart rate to scare any GP!  I had to keep pausing to allow my heart rate to drop before pushing on as this was what was causing me to feel nautious all the time.   We were heading towards Lord Stones and the Three Sisters, which are a group of hills that just make it seem like there are endless ascents to climb.  With quads burning and heart rates rising we manages to keep pressing with odd bouts of running once on the flats, which by was becoming hard for me, just to attempt to increase pace and make my knees rise was more and more difficult.  Once up and running it wasn't too bad, getting into a rhythm was what I kept myself pushing for.  Rob was starting to feel the torturous climbs too with a great comment being 'its like they just find the hardest ascents then copy and paste it hundreds of times!' ha ha brilliant as that was exactly how it felt, relentless!  The only thought in my head now was, Osmotherly.  Mainly because it was such a psychological milestone and the major last cut-off which we had to hit with time in the bank.  Plus Olivia and my parents would be there to meet us and that now was exciting as hadn't seen them since Sandsend.
13152823_1688920944702685_1575669261_n
I keep looking at this picture, not sure what to make of it ha ha!  After the night section and with the knowledge of it not been out of my grasp I think my spirits were high yet I looked done in lol!
After passing the check point at Scarth Moor it wasn't then too far to Osmotherly.  This meant a lot to me now, the psychological boost I was craving wasn't far away.  Each person we met there was a brief conversation about the night section then quickly on to how far we are from Osmotherly.  My legs by now were screaming, my quads were going through hell but the knowledge of how far was now all that was keep me going.  We neared Osmotherly and I recognised the track that leads into the village, and at the end of it was my Dad, Olivia and my Mum which was brilliant, Olivia ran at me and gave me a hug and wanted to walk with me holding my hand and we managed a quick chat with everyone expecting the check point, only to hear that it was up to 2 miles away aaarrrggghhh!
We left everyone and headed off, they were going to meet us at the check point if they could find us!  After several places that I thought it was going to be, we could see my dad and Olivia again. Wow we were ready for refuelling, I needed water and something to eat I was running low and feeling it.  Once I'd checked in we went to the van, sat down, and had some much needed soup!  This was the big change over for Rob and Amy.  Rob had finished his part, and even after a few comments through the night of wanting to carry on once here, I think he was relieved to actually be able to finish, he was done.  Once refreshed (if you can call it that) I attempted to stand up ready for off, this time it wasn't going to be as easy as that, my legs were going to take more convincing.  So with a slight stagger, stumble and going back to 'one foot in front of the other' mantra there was a few "ooo's and aaarrgghh's" but given a few 100 yards I was back to it and knew I would be ok if just pushed on.  The path lead us on a long slow winding up hill trail yet again, this was ok as I was on the home straight, this was now the end game, the last 19 miles!

Amy was wrapped up with more clothes than I think I've ever seen anyone where before, as the layers increased so did the size of the clothing ha ha! We were off and that was all that mattered,  with only 7 miles to High Paradise Farm I wanted to get motoring and ticking off the miles.  I was digging in now as each ascent was taking a little bit more of the very little I had left in the tank, but the engine kept running!  Knowing the route so far was now becoming a hindrance as I knew each bit so on the down side I knew how far there was to go.  Getting to somewhere near Sutton Bank was the goal, the path just kept going and going, I was chasing a guy in front of me that seemed to be keeping good pace so he was a good marker. We  eventually arrived at High Paradise Farm but there was no sign of anyone, no Chris and no family, so what's happened why weren't they there? The things that effect you mentally at this stage of a race can be the smallest things, the build of excitement seeing people or achieving small targets is massive mentally so when something occurs that you didn't plan or for see then it becomes a bigger issue.  After nearly bypassing the self-clip it was time to refocus and get my mind straight and set on the next task and reach the next check point.  Dialstone Farm wasn't that far from here but by now each little section was taking its toll mentally.  I needed to just keep going "don't stop until someone tells you too!" that's all I kept repeating to myself "you keep going to the end no matter what!" this was my chant, " I can, I will" became the mantra for the last section.  Amy was brilliant, every time I doubted myself she just told me I was going to finish and I am going to get to the end and she wasn't letting me talk negative which is very important as now any little negativity soon grows into defeat and a breakdown of hope and low spirits and I wasn't going to let that happen, not now!

We were edging our way a long a path on the side of a field as we met rambles who were popping up all over the place, I could sense we weren't far now, runners from the check point were dashing past us, when I say runners I mean support crew sent to find and assist there competitors.  There were a few people gathered at the end of the path where there was to be a change in direction I guessed this was where the check point was going to be, was Chris going to be here, was Olivia and my parents going to be here, who knows just keep moving forward!  I got a glimpse of man that looked my Dad so my spirits were improving and a smile began to appear on my face.  We had a little chat, checked in, and headed towards the van where Chris was waiting ready.  After getting a mashed up version of why they weren't at the last meeting point I sat down for a few minutes and prepared myself for the last leg.  Soup and a sandwich was great, water bottles full, snacks in the bag and we were off.  A quick photo just to show my failing body and exhausted face but positivity was now emerging as I was nearly there.
13115646_1688920868036026_1070988970_n
  My legs were incredibly sore standing up and trying to head off, a quick cuddle from Olivia and said my goodbyes.  I staggered down the road, probably looked like I'd spent a good afternoon at the pub with the way I was moving ha ha!  The last stint, I knew this bit well, which is why it made it harder.
Dragging myself down to Cold Kirkby knowing the trail heading through the fields and leading down a narrow rocky gully like path down into the woods was tough, ankles were sore and aching and blisters, not that I had many, were now beginning to reveal themselves when positioning my feet on stones.  We passed over the stepping stones which was fun and moved along to Rievauxl Abbey.  A beautiful site, but I knew what was coming, a long up hill and a trek through the woods with a nasty end including steep steps down which crippled me then torturously steep steps back up.  Once through the woods it was a steady trail down into Helmsley, Thank God, I was nearly there.  My next apprehensive bit was that I didn't know how to get to the cricket pavilion at the finish, this had been plaguing my mind for a while now.  I didn't care, was the only way to deal with it, just get there and then sort it.  Which is what I did, entering Helmsley there were arrows pointing the way as I'd hoped and then people dotted around cheering the final few in, i.e. me lol!  Although there were a couple behind us approaching a little quicker than I liked.  So I said to Amy, not that I was especially bothered about positioning just finishing was enough, but I wasn't going to be passed on the last 100 yards sorry I am still a competitive type, I said " if I have to do a sprint finish I will, I don't care how much it hurts but I'm not being passed now!" ha ha so the speed increased and I finished to a few cheers and a round of applause.


Chris and Rob were there waiting, congratulating me in with Amy as we made our way to official finish check point.  I received my medal and shirt with strong hand shake from the man himself Jon Steele a legend and honour to be meted at the end by him.  It was over, finished, completed, achieved, accomplished and conquered! I sat down and tried to speak to everyone but the words didn't really make sense, and I quickly had an immense feeling of exhaustion and tiredness, it just hit me it was all quite overwhelming really.  Two years of training, researching, injuries, massages, highs, lows, pain, excitement and a pure desire to achieve the goal I'd set myself of running further than 4 marathons back to back and passing the 100 mile marker I'd put there.  I'd done it!

So, my instant thoughts the next day were, what's next?  How far could I go if actually trained properly ha ha! Will it end, How far is too far????

No comments:

Post a Comment