Tuesday 14 February 2017

The past few weeks I have had some great training sessions.  Hence why not had to write any updates.  Apart from a few more runs out at Millington where my progress is really starting to show.  More running in sections that in the past have proved too tough for me and needed to walk.  I have also been improving my recovery from a steep climb, and getting straight into running again to improve it.  The climbs have been a particularly pleasing part as I have tried to measure my progress on these sections by the number of times I have needed to stop for air and to let my heart rate to drop slightly.  I am now completing the climbs in one go with no need for stopping.

What else have I done?  Well apart from my gym sessions where I have continued to work on my strength and conditioning, things like lunges, squats, single leg squats, weights, press ups and TRX work and core by doing all kinds of sit ups and twists.  The main parts of my training that I am pleased with are the pack training runs that I have done on the treadmill with 5, 6, and 7 kilogram weighted packs. This combined with getting out on the trails is beginning to allow my body to function properly while under immense strain.  My main test run was last Thursday, the goal was to do around 16/17 miles so I did 16.5.  I weighted my pack to 5kg and headed out early so I could be back at a reasonable time.  I was hoping to get a good 3 hours on my feet, I didn't care if running or walking or mixing it up which as it turned out what happened.  I allowed short bursts of walking to recover and mainly no to over do it as like I said it was more important to get time on my feet with the pack as opposed to seeing how quick I could do it.

Once I had returned I was very pleased, good mileage and time on my feet.  This was perfect after the treadmill 12k the day before so very happy plus I didn't feel particularly broken just a bit wiped out.  Training is going well, more strength work and getting used to the pack.  Its the ankles and knee's that feel it, not my back which originally I thought I would suffer with.  Nearer the time I will start going out with it on nearly every day to get used to it more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment