Thursday 2 February 2017

The Spine has passed, a short break has been had, and now training is in full flow for the Sahara!  Last week I had built up to getting out with my pack on.  I hit the hilly Millington on the Wolds to begin my tough hill work training.  My pack started off around 3.5kg and has now built up to 6kg.  The intention is to build up to 10kg and complete a couple of long walks/runs that will allow me to feel the benefit of hopefully having a lighter pack for the first couple of days of the challenge.  Obviously as the week goes on the pack becomes lighter.  So Millington with a 5kg pack was not easy, normally the 11 mile route which is tough on a good day would take me about 2 and half hours, this time it took just under 3!  I felt good though all the way round and ran where I wanted to and powered up the hills pushing myself to keep up the pace and not to let up.  I was definitely sweating some, wow I was dripping. I was wrapped up though as still pretty cold here especially up on the Wolds.  I went again last Sunday with Pete, this time with no pack just my bladder pack and the idea was to just try and work hard and pushing the running, I'd say trying for pace but its so difficult to get any I try to think more about maintaining as much running as can before I have to walk the incline and then on the steep hill sections I try to power up and see if I can complete without having to break so therefore stretching my capabilities each time in different ways.

I am now trying to mix this pack training with some general strength and conditioning for my legs, core, shoulders and arms.  This with a little speed work on the bike and treadmill is working well, whilst cross training with a bit in the pool and my job which is tennis.  I am now feeling the effects of the heavy training load as becoming more and more tired and hungry!


No comments:

Post a Comment