Wednesday 17 May 2017

Day 4 had arrived!  The dreaded 'long day'.  This was what my strategy had been all about, getting to this point in as best shape as possible.  I was feeling good, no major blisters or foot problems, no injuries, no set backs!  I was tired, hungry, and broken in other ways but ready to attack this day with everything I had, everything I'd learnt over the last few years and everything I had done in training.  The game was well and truly a foot, because if I get through this day then I only have a marathon do complete for my medal and finishing time.



We were up a little earlier to day as they wanted us off quite early with it been the greatest distance.  So all fed and watered, back packs ready! We headed off to the now very familiar start line and antics.  To be honest as fun as it was on the first day it was starting to wear off a bit now and I just wanted the countdown and to get on with it.  Mentally I had prepared myself for a long day, literally!  I knew I was going to be out there for a good 20 hours it just all depended on the terrain and level of difficulty of the day.

My plan was to power through the morning trying to cover as much as possible before the sun became a major factor, which it did.  I became nauseous again during the hottest period and worried about my longevity out there.




My plan was to get through checkpoint 4 in good time and have something to eat and a little rest.  I arrived there around 6pm which was perfect, I was starving by this point and actually struggling but I knew I just had to get there and refuel.  Since I was there in good time I decided to push on to checkpoint 5 before I had any dinner.  This plan served me well even though I was struggling it wasn't a time to stop for a break I wanted to get more distance done before I allowed myself  treat.  I stumbled through the checkpoint gates collecting my water and pretending I was in great form and smiling.  There was a massive light hoisted up and tents built all around it for people to crash and rest.  I found a spot on the dusty stone ground with groups of others who were just get there kit out and eating and evening meal.  All I could think was calories, I must get calories in me, and salt.  I made up a recovery and refuel drink and began getting a meal prepared.  The head torch was on by this point and I needed to change the batteries I could barely see my own feet.  Once I'd eaten I wanted to have a little lie down and rest.  Mainly just to allow the food to go down before I started again and also to rest my eyes for a little bit.  I think at this point we had done about 30 miles, and a tough 30 miles let me tell you.  I gave it 15 minutes before I decided if I rested any longer I'd be in danger of falling into a deep sleep and staying for a lot longer which wasn't to my liking and not in the plan.  So up I got like I was 100 years old, tight legs, sore feet and incredible sore shoulders.  Off I trotted once I'd worked out which direction lol!

It was always going to be a mental battle I knew that, seeing a lot of very ill and weary people out there I was glad I had some experience of the distance and how my body would react.  The further I got the more my body was breaking down.  Not only battling dehydration and limited calories but my left arm became so painful I could no longer lift the pole in front me, it just dragged behind and I used it to push me along.  My bicep had become that sore it too was making me feel ill.  My shoulders were also destroyed but that was now the norm, no escaping that. Last but least, my hamstrings were starting to tighten up to the point that they weren't going to be able to bend soon so I had get going it was time to push on and get this last section done.  The sun was now up which was an unbelievable experience just watching sunrise in the desert, beautiful!  We came to an old mine, the grit and sand had changed to a darker brown which was a bit weird after all this time, it a while for my eyes to adjust.  As we passed through shacks and falling village I could sense the end, my watch had run out of battery but I managed to keep the clock going on it so I knew roughly by my average pace how far I had to go.  I was desperate now to get back, I didn't want to be out there when the sun started to get hot again my body was already in shock and needed rest.  We turned the corner and there it was, the bivouac!

No comments:

Post a Comment