Monday 8 May 2017

With day one done we were in it, no turning back only forward progress would do.  For me it was like a job now, I was there to get it done and I was going to treat it like work.  There were routines in place now that I needed to follow in order to feel prepared for the day ahead and to deal with the challenge of that day.

The day began with what was now becoming the norm, the elephant stampede to the toilet block.  For some they couldn't wait, literally.  So the idealic holiday morning draw back of the curtains where you look for blue skies, beautiful landscapes, ocean views, nope not here!  You were most likely to get the view of someone's backside or frontside depending on the direction of the wind! Once I had sorted out my own morning ablutions I needed to get some food in me, sort my water rations and the attend to my feet.  Today was meant to be quite tough, it was 40k with numerous testing jebels.  Now after yesterdays little teaser, intro day, welcome to the desert, I was preparing for a battle.  I knew today was going to be about getting the salt tablets, hydration and calories right.  Legs felt good and ready for a marathon, since we'd only done one day this was pleasing ha ha!


Off we went still showing signs of energy and excitement.  We knew we were in for a test today so the mental games began straight away.  Boom straight away, up we go!  Heart rate nearly through the roof and a gradual feeling of nausea, oh great!  I kep pushing on and trying to work through but all I could see ahead of me was this mountain.  The breeze abandoned me and the heat became the new battle.  I could feel myself getting worse and worse, people were collapsed in heaps under any tree or shadie bit they could find, which in the desert ain't much!  I ground to a halt, there was a medic under a tree treating a coiple of people who looked pretty ill.  I was reluctant to stop because I didn't want them thinking I couldn't cope and giving them reason to pull me out but I had to. I had to just take a few minutes to get me back on track.  I knew the feeling well as have felt like it before on other events.  I needed not just water, but food and salt tablets.  Then I just needed a few minutes to compose myself before heading off.  I had a little chat with the medics they were just wanting to make sure I was ok before heading off.  One told me it was 1 and a bit kilometres up and over, then you'd be able to see the bivouac.  Great sounds so easy!

So off I trot, the ascent started ok but I slowly began to become weary and struggle.  My heart rate was much higher now and I was sweating profusely.  The need for mini breaks became often, just to let my heart come down then off I'd go again putting in another bout of effort.

So all I had to do was keep going. prevent myself from being sick and get to the top.  Another mini break and I'd be there!

The view back now was amazing, we'd covered such distance and gained great elevation.  I needed to reach the top then it would be done, just a matter of getting down the other side but I'd worry about that when I got there.  I turned the corner of the never ending climbing and I could see the pinnacle before people just seemed to disappear so that was the target.  Heart in mouth and desperation written all over my face I got there.  Instantly shovelled two more salt tablets down, a shot block and a gulp of water.  What was next!  The view was amazing, breath taking!
So all we had to do was start the descent by holding onto a rope and kind of abseil down before just making a run for it!
"Right here you are" the marshal said, "off you go!  Allez Allez!"


Once I'd made it to the bottom, bit of a scramble the last bit but actually quite good fun, exciting, I headed off towards camp.  We were are able from the top of the climb to see the camp.  Yet again it was about another 2k from here but everyone suddenly had a spring in their step and they were racing it home.

This was a great feeling, as it meant I'd got through day two and we were now well on our way to getting to the long day.  Just the matter of the dunes day tomorrow, but lets worry about that tomorrow!  I stormed into camp, the boys were all back and crashed out in the tent.  I entered to a round of applause and a few cheers which was nice, I then proceeded to untangle my pack from my body.  Oh my lord I cant move my arms let alone use them to lie down.  My shoulders were so sore it was unbelievable, they were that bad I couldn't rest on my arms or use them to prop myself up, the pain was immense.  This took a good couple of hours to wear off, but thankfully it did wear off otherwise it was going to be a long night.  Again!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment