Friday 26 May 2017

The job was done but not over!  We still had the Charity day to complete which involved us being given a new t-shirt the night before to wear which was a lovely cotton yellow which inspired a few moans and groans but was at least nice to put on a clean shirt.  The bag seemed to be full still which was a little alarming but the weight was considerably different.  I was now able to include my sleeping bag on the inside along with any other bits I had hanging off the sides.  I gave the roll matt away to the berbers as they cleared up camp for the last time in the morning. All that was left was a little bit of food and the remaining kit I wished to keep.



Paul and Tim enjoying the morning sun in preparation for this final leg of our adventure.  It was all smiles and laughter this morning as we knew we had done and finished it was just a matter of completing the 7.7km back to the coaches.


It was a completely different atmosphere this time as nobody was really racing off to try and finish as quick as possible.  It was a more social plod with your tent mates and friends chatting and laughing about the weeks adventure and hotel that we'd soon be in having showers and beers and food!



Legs were weary, shoulders sore, skin sun burnt, kit falling to bits and general desire to actually just be finished.  Apart from that we were all just happy to be at the end, just a few dunes to cross but this was easier knowing that it was only to be a few km.  We had discussed a plan for the finish, this plan involved a tip off that Paul had received from a previous competitor. Don't get on the coach keep walking and there'll be a taxi rank.  Commandeer a taxi between the four or five of us and head back to the hotel this way.  This was genius, even though I was slightly apprehensive as could end up any where and being robbed, but I had to put these thoughts out of my head.  Eventually we set off ahead of the coaches.  Straight out on the route and stop at the first petrol station for snacks and drinks.  Boom this was the first advantage of our decision, the second was to be able to lounge out in the back of the car with space and windows that open!  This taxi ride turned out to be whole new adventure just in itself, but we ended up at the hotel in about 4.5 hours and soon got ourselves into the shower.  The idea was to get sorted and meet at the bar for beers, except I thought the boys said they'd knock on the door and we'd all go together ooops lots of wasted drinking time! Whilst this was happening John had a serious problem to contend with, he'd left his phone in the taxi!  This was a nightmare and so glad it wasn't me.  He just dropped his bags and ran back to try and catch the driver but in the end he needed the assistance of the receptionist and eventually, unbelievable, he got it back after tracking the driver down via another taxi and guessing where he would be!

We were sat slobbed out knocking back the beers and having a few laughs retelling the stories of the week and hearing new ones.  Then they all started coming in looking half dead and broken.  Their coach journey had got delayed and had taken them near on 9 hours.  Lynton's face was a picture as he hadn't come with us in the taxi as I couldn't find him to grab.  He came and just started shouting and moaning it was priceless!  We continued enjoying beer and food for the next day before it was time to get our flights and head home.  Apart from a slight delay for our flight it was great to be heading home.  Everyone was waiting for me at the airport and Olivia came running up to me like I'd just won the Olympics or something ha ha!  It kind of felt like that actually but I'd obviously achieved quite that high a level.

After we got back and I'd had a few days to let it all sink in I couldn't quite believe I'd actually done it, it was almost like a dream or should I say a nightmare lol!  One of the greatest experiences I've ever had and one of the greatest achievements I've ever managed.  Would I recommend it to others, definitely, it was amazing but the preparation is critical to their success and mental survival.  I loved it, its maybe not for everyone but it was for me!

Would I go back? Yes, but not just yet I have too many other adventures I want to do first.  One day though maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment