Thursday 18 May 2017

Morning had broken!  I arrived into camp at about 7.15am which meant it wasn't too hot yet and I'd achieved my target.  All I had to do now was to get across camp and find my tent.  What torture, you finish after 23 hours get a warm cup of sweet tea, 3 bottles of water and a poop bag lol then have to walk 1km to your tent.  Bearing in mind my left arm wasn't working any more and my legs were so tight they'd barely bend.  I crossed the camp and received a few claps from other tents mainly as most were collapsed or still out there.  I got to the tent and the boys were there to welcome me back, it was a great moment quite emotional actually.  A few cheers and claps then all the talks of the days labours.  I could barely get my pack off but I needed to a quickly.  I need my refuel drink and then some food, but mainly I needed to lay down I was done, broken................ but not beaten!

I spent the rest of the day flat out  resting getting patches of sleep and then sorting my kit out with the knowledge there's only the marathon day to go.  We were all exhausted now, it was catching up with us.  I was fairly ill throughout the morning, hoping that it would pass.  I knew it was just the exhaustion and sun stroke from the previous day.  I just needed to sleep it off the best I could and eat as much as I could afford to.  The pack was now getting to a reasonable weight, the problem was my body was feeling fairly beaten up so the weight difference was that apparent as it hurt no matter what.  We were told that in the middle of the day we would receive the famous 'can of coke', we couldn't wait this was golden.  I had wondered over to the medics tent to receive some treatment on my legs where I had managed to get a couple of blisters that were the size of grapes and I just didn't fancy treating them myself in case of infection.  Normally I wouldn't be bothered but so far into the race hygiene probably not at its best I just thought it would be safer.



I headed back with the great big patches of red on my legs where the iodine had stained the skin. I noticed a lorry in the middle of camp and queue's of people gathering.  I just joined the queue not actually knowing what I was the for.  It turned out we were receiving a fresh race number and then, yes you guessed it, the can of coke. WWWHHHAAAOOOO!  So I took my can and made my way back to the tent.  The boys could not believe I'd got mine, they hobbled off to get their rationed can.  It turned out that there was a shortage of full fat coke so Tim ad Paul ended up, to my amusement, with a can of Coke that was suger free, fat free, and feel great free lol!  Mine was great lol!

Preparations continued as the last runners came in, some on the cut off of 35 hours.  Massive respect to these people for being out there all that time and knowing that their recovery time was going to be very little before the next days race.  I got myself sorted and bedded down hopefully to get a full nights sleep in preparation for the last day.  We'd made it this was what the it was all about, the plan had worked, now it was time to finish the job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment