Thursday 25 February 2016

It seems endless this journey, not that I'm complaining as I am dong what I want to do.  When I set out on this challenge I believed it would be straight forward progress from one distance to the next. What I didn't account for were setbacks, naïve maybe or as I would like to believe just a strong mental attitude towards achieving extreme things.  Yes there is a need for procedures and contingency plans for when things don't work out, but what I didn't envisage is such a lengthy hold back on my progress.  I didn't think a slight injury would have made it this difficult.  Therefore the psychological aspects of this makes it more interesting as the roller coaster of emotions and belief are the real struggle. It is also interesting after reading countless articles, blogs and posts from other ultra distance runners that this long lay off and dealing with it is probably best dealt with mentally by these runners than other sports people.  I'm not saying all, as its strong personalities, and there are all sorts of athletes out there who have this trait. It just seems more apparent in the long distance athlete, due to there endurance capacities in the mental or psychological field.  I love this side to it, I find it incredibly interesting how individuals deal with the long periods of time alone, the pain endured and the relentless psychological game that is played against yourself, no one else, just against yourself and this is what sets it apart from other sports, I think!



Is it the run itself, or the idea of the adventure, or the telling people what you've got planned and seeing the look on there faces and the wonder in there eyes of how crazy you are?  I think its possibly a little of all, what I personally love about it is just getting out there and doing something.  So why not just go for a walk I hear you say or a short run?  Why does it need to be so far?  I'm not sure why, there is an exhilaration or rush you get after completing it that just makes you want to do more.  There's a sense of adventure, a journey, doing something others don't or can't do and there's the succeeding or achieving that makes you want to keep going back and feeling those highs all over again.  I love the out doors and love doing exercise so its just a natural combination to me, it makes me tick, something to really train for or give purpose to your training.  Where's does it end? I'm not sure, does it have too!

No comments:

Post a Comment