Monday 29 February 2016

In defeat we learn lifes greatest lessons!

Northumberland 35, with minimal training I had already booked in for this event as I believed at the time or I hoped that firstly I would finally be free of injury and mainly that it would be perfect training for lead up to the HM55.  I also wanted to see what it was like and what experiences I would have ready for the Marathon de Sables next year as it would be a great event to test a few things out.
Since I wasn't going to stay over the night before my day started at 3.30am, I had all my kit packed and ready and food for the journey there and the essentials for the return journey.  Surprisingly I got up fine and felt pretty good, dare I say it but I was up for it!  I set off expecting it to take between 2 and 2 and half hours and it was exactly that, 2 hours 15 mins which left me with just enough time to get my kit together, vasoline my feet and make sure I had the right stuff with me before check in.
                                                          12747498_10201339161159163_7632221458854309492_o
 At registration it was the same apprehensive hussle and bussle.  Everyone looking nervous, feeling excited and going through there final preparation rituals.  The actual check-in was very quick and efficient, a number drawn on my hand and a timing key attached to my wrist and promptly told the race briefing will be held shortly outside in front of the castle.  After the usual do's and don'ts we headed down to the carpark to board the coaches that were to take us to the start Alnwick Castle (pronounced Anick, couldn't get my head round that so it ended up like a tongue twister).
                                                         12764447_10201342479402117_7461673183440987144_o 
A bunch of people dancing round a field in the middle of nowhere, what must people passing be thinking???  mmmm 'look at those nutters!'  So after the enthusiastic count down from the race starter off we went into the unknown heading out to the coast.  This is one of the best parts of any race I think as everyone is full of energy, cheerfulness and zest.  Chattering away, talking of past conquests and future adventures we're all experiencing the same excitement, nervousness and joys.  That is how it starts, such a contrast to the conversations and feelings towards the end (which will be described later on, in detail ha ha).
                                                           12771779_10201342480002132_3743053299456715223_o
The field of runners soon spreads to become a trickle and eventually I'm on my own.  The trail to the coastline was beautiful, following the rivers curves, weaving and swirling towards the North Sea.  Stunning was our surroundings, and at this moment in time I felt like I could run forever.  So slowly  plodding along in my customary way wondering how the day would unfold.  Well, it wasn't long before I found out!  About 1o miles in and I am running through a village called 'Hipsburn', this pretty much summed up how I was.  My hip flexors were in a bad way, especially my right hip, burning and beginning to hamper my running.  It was making the lifting of my leg a problem, which was slowly making one of my quadriceps increasingly painful too.  This carried on for a period of time before the negativity began, it starts off as small things getting at you, before long your convincing yourself that you shouldn't even be there.  I even started convincing myself that I was going to pull out of the HM55 and the 110 and then I questioned doing the MdS I doubted my ability to overcome and solve any physical problems I was encountering.  I stopped, to stretch and re-group, which basically means I had to give myself a kick up the backside!  This gave me enough to get going again and push on.
                                                            12778955_10201342479282114_230099155319942906_o
Running along the coastline through the dunes and on the beaches was unbelievable I loved it an will definitely be doing it again next year in preparation for the Sahara.  Once I had got past my difficult period I kept having good sections where I was able to get some good chunks of mileage done, constantly referring back to the best motivating saying ever of 'one foot in front of the other' and 'every step you take brings you closer to the end' and 'don't stop, keep moving forward no matter what' all these things help as constant messages to yourself.  You need these its important so make sure you know a few that you are going to repeat to yourself in times of need.  My hip wasn't completely ok but I was managing to carry on sufficiently to prove to myself that I was making ok headway.   The problem wasn't going away though, so with occasional reluctant short breaks I kept making a few important stretches that seemed to help enough to relieve the strains temporarily.  I new I could finish, but what was the damage going to be that was my greatest fear, not the current increasing pain but the length of time it was going to take to recover in the coming week!
                                                     12764827_10201342479922130_8597223969923743640_o
Once I had passed Dunstanburgh Castle which looked awesome and definite re-visit at some point, I felt like I just wanted to be on my way home and not run another 15 or so miles.  At this point I new I would make it ok just needed to battle on, but was it worth it.  I met a fellow runner who enquired to how I was, so unfortunately for him I told him ha ha!  I recounted his story from last years race where he and his running buddy were in the same boat and decided to call it a day once they reached the castle and finish with the Marathon distance (28miles) runners.  He said its not worth injuring yourself over, and since I'd done a fair distance already I should be happy with that.  Now I'm not sure what happened at this point, whether it was almost like someone had said its ok quit early or if someone had just given me the reassurance it was ok stop whilst the going was good.  I went with the positive, of course, and decided that it was a message that stopping early and injury free was a good thing and that I had done what I went there to do and that was to get some miles in the bank and to test my foot.  I had done this and passed the test, so why push it and set myself back further??? Good, I questioned myself countlessly and decided this was definitely the right thing to do, no shame in 28 miles and great training sessions aren't meant to injure but to make you stronger so take the hint and finish well but slightly early.  So this is what I did, even though it was extremely hard to not carry whether that is pride or the determination that I usually use to get me to the end I don't know but I was making the right choice for sure.  I can come back and finish it properly next year!
Progress over pride!  This was a massive moment for me, I just didn't realise it at the time as my pride was taking a bit of a beating.  Looking back a couple of days later whilst enjoying a fairly fast recovery and joy of no restrictive injury just a tight calf muscle, can I reflect on how pleased I am with my decision.  I owe the chap I spoke with, who at the time planted a negative seed in my head, but in reality made me think sensible about why I was there and what it was I am trying long term to achieve.  The battle and the war, some fights you have to walk away from to move forward and become stronger physically and mentally.  This could be a defining moment, I just couldn't see it at the time.

Finishing the run along the beach heading towards Bambrugh Castle was just something special and I can't wait to do it again.  The views were amazing and the trail that lead us to the finish was just breath taking I would advice anyone who can to do it and anyone who thinks they can't to over come that mentality and just go do it.  Its worth it, trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment