Tuesday 28 March 2017

Ticking clocks!   The minutes seem to be slipping through my fingers like sand.  Every second  have another thought, should I take this should I take that, do I need more food could I take less food, its a nightmare.  I think it will be better next week when I just make that final decision and draw the line and say that's it, nothing more nothing less whatever it is then it is.

Quite an interesting few days actually.  I've been trying to maintain my sauna usage and I think its paid off I'll explain why in a minute.  So swimming and pool running, my new pool trainers/shoes/slippers not really sure what you call them but they make a difference in the pool with grip but also they stop your feet from getting shredded.  I have also managed more biking but have eased off with this slightly after Rory Colemans advice to do very little and rest the foot.  Its so hard!

Sunday was great, I decided it was time to test my foot slightly with out going overboard but to do enough in a safe enough environment to be able to stop as when I needed to.  So pack on, legionnaires hat and glasses and earphones in, off I trot around the field next to the tennis club which was about a 3rd of a mile.

I felt good so every now and again I pushed the pace but had reel myself back in after short bursts as I felt the odd twinge but what was important was that I was learning how to manage it.  Part of the rehabilitation process relys on you manage your individual body.  Each persons knows what they can and can't manage, we all try to protect injurys that's natural the body will do this wether you want to or not, to override this basic human instinct is an incredibly tough but doable task.  There I am walking round the field looking like something that's just landed from outer space and waving to all the people playing tennis who just stop mid rally to gaupe at the nutter in the field lol!  I managed 2 miles which was what I was planning there or there abouts, my foot wasn't hurting but I knew I'd done enough i'd stretched it and worked it a little and didn't need to push it any further.  I'd also had time with my pack which I have worried about not doing enough as it will be your lower back that feels the strain initial so prepare by doing.  Doing what your going to do, practice and preparation!  Once I had taken the straight jacket off (the pack) and dumped it in the car, I headed off for the pool, training wasn't over yet.

I'd done 2 miles outside with my pack on and most of the kit I was going to have whilst on the MdS, next job was a 1 mile pool run/power walk.  New pool shoes on, next to the window with the sun beating down and we're off.  Nothing exciting, just up and down 60 odd times with numerous slips and slides like bambi on ice but all good you just got to do it.  From the pool straight into the sauna trying to last a good 20 mins with the occasional step ups to replicate exercising in the heat with heart rate up.  Its tough to make yourself do these things as individually they are not that difficult its just a matter of doing it and experiencing the feeling and the effects on the body to help you prepare.

No surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment