Thursday 30 March 2017

Wow that first heat session hit me hard.  At first I thought I was unaffected and good to go, but once I'd driven home it started!  Just a gradual tiring feeling, exhausted and lethargic.  I also apart from the obvious dehydrated feeling I started feeling hungry constantly, nothing seemed to satisfy.  The tough bit was yet to come I had to go back to work.  Exhausted .com!

Yesterday I was back to normal maybe slightly jaded but ok, if anything I was just suffering from sitting on the bike for 90 minutes.  Yes, you guessed it I was walking like John Wayne initially ha ha!  This has been a great period of the training as everyone is posting their sessions on the facebook group and we're all passing on tips and useful bits of info.  Great to exchange experiences too, for most this is all new so quite exciting.

Wednesday came, this time I wanted to be more prepared.  I wanted to have eaten well the previous night and had a good nights sleep.  My intention was to be up early and out in plenty of time so that I would get there in good time for the 9.30 start.  This all happened pretty much how I wanted, I was there just 5 mins early but in good time to be ready for my next session. More prepared, more eager and ready to test my foot.  This time I wanted to use the treadmill, I had my race trainers, socks and gaiters on and possible race shirt and MdS hat. I filled two bottles with 600 mils of electrolyte drink and had them ready, the treadmill started and off I went.  It seemed much more difficult than when I was on the bike, I seemed to be sweating more but this was apparently because last time I was more directly in front of the fans where as this time I was slightly to the side.



A totally different experience this time compared to Monday.  It took longer to get my core temp nearly an hour and we took it too 39 this time.  My heart rate was averaging at 165 bpm, I was working at level 6 on the treadmill and with an incline of 6 to start with but once the core temp was up we lowered it.  90 minutes and almost 10k done, 2.2 litres or kg's lost and 1.2 litres drank during the course of the exercise which was an SIS electrolyte drink.  I ended up averaging 100mls every 5 mins but I must have been taking less than that before.  After the first 45 mins drinking every 5 mins but not regulating it, then afterwards monitoring how much I wanted to have I now have a clear indication of how much I need to have in that 5 min period and its about 125ml.  So the plan on Monday is to try and nail this side to the training.  I will be working much harder as will have my pack on.  I felt exhausted again afterwards but like before not straight away it was a gradual effect.  I came out of the chamber slightly dizzy but I think that was only because of the motion of the treadmill.



Its hot, damn hot!







No comments:

Post a Comment